A clear bowel movement (BM) in the morning is as important as eating food for our immunity, energy and vitality!
I have had clients who struggle with BM everyday. It can be extremely stressful. Bathroom time becomes the most dreaded time of the day. They are not alone. Research shows that over 4 million people in the United States have frequent constipation. Constipation is the most common digestive complaint in the United States, outnumbering all other chronic digestive conditions. Cathartics and laxatives are prescribed to 2 to 3 million patients yearly. Constipation is three times more common in women than men which is so surprising.
Having a clear bowel movement in the morning or not has the following signs:
Elimination within 2 - 3 hours of waking up, little to no odor, elimination feels complete, hard stool, dark brown, no gas
No daily movement (or every few days), hard dark balls, elimination doesn’t feel complete, astringent odor, excessive gas
Well formed but soft, breaks up when flushing, mild odor, twice a day, usually upon waking and after a meal
Runny, yellowish or greenish stools or diarrhea, more than twice a day, unpleasant odor, burning sensation
Regular elimination upon waking, once or twice a day, well formed, brown, large quantity, little odor or even a sweet smell, clean wipe .
Sticky, soft or mushy, mucus can be seen, need to wipe several times, incomplete elimination
Some of the many Benefits of a clear BM:
- Vibrant Energy
- Clear, glowing skin
- Mental Clarity
- Improved Immunity
- Brightness in the eyes
- Prana / Chi moves freely within the body
- Youthfulness/ Slows down ageing
- Sensation of Hunger for the next meal
My Recommendations for a clear Bowel Movement in the morning
- Ideal time for elimination is 6 am. Waking up before 6am and having a glass of warm water is very helpful. Around 6am, one can sit on the pot and take deep breaths. Using a porta squatty is extremely helpful! The flow of breath in the body helps the peristaltic movement of the intestines. Atleast give your body a minimum of 5 minutes to decide if it is ready for the BM. Once we form this habit, it is easy to keep it for the rest of our life.
- Avoid reading a book or your phone when on the pot. It is the same energy that we use for reading that is used for excretion. We want to focus our energy on clearing out the bowels completely.
- Add a tablespoon of psyllium husk powder (Isabgol Bhusi) available at health food stores to an 8 ounce glass of water, and drink it in the morning and evening. You can also add it to your food or soup.
- Take 1 - 2 Triphala tablets before bed with warm water.
- Boil 6 ounces of whole cow’s milk or goat’s milk (or non dairy milk if you are vegan). Drink before bed every night for at least seven days. You should have immediate relief. After a week, use as needed.
- Rub your belly with warm castor oil and administer a warm compress on the belly before going to sleep. Tip: You can do this for children as well if they are constipated.
- Daily, take a minimum of a 30 minute brisk walk.
- Soak ½ teaspoon of Chia seeds soaked in water for 30 minutes in the morning with your breakfast. You can slowly build up to 1 tbsp.
- Eat more SAUTEED GREENS (Not RAW) with your food.
These tips will help you be more regular in your oval office aka bathroom :)
Choose any 1 tip and try it for a week to measure efficacy.
If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected]
No matter, how difficult your situation is, Ayurveda can help you! It has helped people over 10,000 years!!!! That is no mean feat!!
Love & Light!
Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor, ThetaHealer,
Yoga Teacher and Speaker
Empowering All Moms to find Calm, Joy and Balance
Source: Perfect Digestion by Deepak Chopra, Ayurveda Beginner’s guide by Susan Weis-Bohlen, Notes from Sarasvati Ayurveda Institute